You always hear and see sellers proclaiming their cashmere product to be “the best quality”, “the finest” or “the purest”. But, all of them selling these clothes in name of pashmina cannot be authentic, considering the limited production of this fur in regions around Kashmir valley of India along with China, Tibet or Mongolia.
The Himalayan goats that are reared in these areas are double-fleeced carrying a coarser overcoat and a finer and softer undercoat with high insulation capacity. A cashmere scarf, shawl or any other cloth made from it are thus three times warmer than other fabrics. However, it is interesting to note that these goats live only in those frigid conditions, and their number is limited.
Sounds fishy, right? Don’t worry, you just need to keep your eyes open and look for these signs while buying the purest scarf.
How to recognize the purest cashmere scarf?
- A pure cashmere scarf will carry a label of “100% cashmere”. If you find anything with a simple cashmere label, know that it’s a blend of cheaper fabrics.
- The purest cloth has an irregular weave because it is woven on a hand loom. You can identify it by holding against the light.
- Check for the dimension and match with the price. A cashmere cloth with higher dimension will always have a higher Anything cheap is not worth a buy.
- A pure cashmere fabric will carry a matte look with a light sheen. If you find it too shimmery and shiny, don’t buy it.
The unique quality of a cashmere scarf
A cashmere scarf come with exceptional qualities not found in other fabrics, all at the same time.
Since they are derived from the undercoat of Himalayan goats, they are extremely soft and comfortable to use. Being natural fabric, they also do not affect the skin. You can wear them cosily during frosty winters and still feel the comfort.
Wearing a cashmere scarf easily makes you stand out from the rest. It also carries a rich heritage value from the era of kings where they used to gift it to each other.
These fabrics are available in different sizes, shapes, and designs. You can also match them easily with most of your outfits. Pick the right color and make it a part of your wardrobe collection.
You can use a pashmina fabric for over ten years. This superfine fabric is highly durable and lasts for long.
Care for a cashmere scarf
Being a fashion conscious woman made you buy one or a few of them to compliment your wardrobe collection. But wait, you also need to take good care of it so that you can use it for longer.
- Send it to dry wash occasionally.
- Use milder shampoo or soap for washing it at your home; avoid harsh detergents.
- Do not wring or put on the hanger to avoid any stretching.
- Pat it dry by keeping over the towel.
- Do not iron as the fabric may burn or shrink due to heat.
Now, you can enjoy the warmth and cosiness wrapping the shawl over, without worrying about the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’ of buying or keeping a cashmere scarf.